Sunday 6 March 2011

Week 6: NATIONAL PORTRAIT GALLERY

1. Logo: This logo, like the National Gallery from last week, is a bit blasé to me. It is black and white, without any identifiable icon, and is purely typeface--to me, this doesn't give it much personality, which is a shame because the artwork within the gallery has a lot of personality. However, I do like that the logo is arranged in a perfect square, a shape which frames the title. This relates to the framed portraits throughout the gallery, so there is some connection between the logo and the collection. I would probably suggest creating some kind of simple icon, perhaps even an empty frame itself, to use in place of the National Portrait Gallery type, which could be less attractive on banners, pamphlets, maps, etc.



2. Self Portrait: I chose the portrait of Sarah Jennings, Duchess of Marlborough, by Sir Godfrey Kneller. Painted in 1702, this portrait has many qualities with which I identified. First, I love her pose. It is very classy and graceful, which are qualities I tirelessly strive to embody (...only partially joking). Second, I love her dress. It is quite simple, but elegantly draped; most importantly, it is shiny! I love anything that sparkles or shines, and silver is my favorite metallic colour. Finally, I love her makeup. She is wearing rose blush, which I wear every day! Basically, if I were around at the turn of the 17th century, I would hope to look like the Duchess.
 


3. Sarah: I chose the famous portrait of Lady Diana by Bryan Organ to express the essence of my friend Sarah. Sarah, while vibrant, social, and beautiful, is also occasionally clouted by melancholy and contemplation. To me, this portrait captures the conflicting qualities of Princess Diana, which I also see present in Sarah. Effortlessly pretty, with beautiful clothing that only enhances her natural beauty is how I see both of these women.
 


4. Karl: I immediately projected my friend Karl into this portrait of Alexander Pope at the National Portrait Gallery because of the they are both poets. I also love the portrayal of Pope from a profile angle, of which there were very few in the Gallery. For some reason, I think of Karl from a profile perspective, because I think it makes the subject seem more contemplative and unique, which is exactly what he is. I could definitely seek a portrait of Karl in this style on the cover of his imminent hip-hop album, or on the dust jacket of a book of his poetry.
 


5. Amanda: I saw my friend Amanda reflected in this portrait of Elizabeth Burnet mostly because of her facial expression. She is politely bemused, and looks like she was probably journalling or reading a book before being interrupted to sit for the portrait. Amanda is fair and beautiful, and doesn't have to put in much effort to look that way. The simple dress and hairstyle, with a slight smile in this portrait I see in Amanda almost every day. She is easy to overlook at first, but deserving of attention.
 


6. Lauryn: I love this portrait of Lady Colin Campbell for so many reasons. I love her pose, which is so natural but also beautiful and effortless. I love her dress, especially the fact that it is black, which for that time period should evoke mourning, yet she is full of life. My favorite part of her dress is the sleeves, which sort of blur at the edges and are quite feminine, yet bold. I saw my roommate Lauryn reflected in this portrait. On a surface level, Lauryn wears a lots of black and is quite stylish, but she is also gorgeous and graceful, like Lady Colin Campbell.
 

***Because I drew my portraits in pencil, they are a bit hard to see in these photos. However, I will be happy to display them in person so that you can get the full effect!



No comments:

Post a Comment